Here are a number of check-lists for the journey to help you think about, plan and prepare for all the different aspects of having a serious illness:
Consultations and Appointments: Ask the Questions you want Answered
Write down a short list of the most important questions you want answered before each and every consultations and appointments. Areas and topics you may want to ask about include:
QUESTIONS ABOUT THE ILLNESS
- Is there a diagnosis, and what further tests are needed
- What is the disease, and what are the main symptoms
- What are the main treatment options, and also where and when
- What is the time period for treatment, and how long until you get better
- What are the main side-effects and other major problems about treatment
- Where do you find out more about your illness.
QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR HEALTHCARE SERVICE
- Who are the available specialists
- What are the local success rates dealing with your illness
- Do you want to ask for a Second Opinion
QUESTIONS ABOUT LOOKING AFTER YOURSELF
- How far should you try (and are going to be able) to continue with your ‘normal life’.
- What extra care is available, and how do you go about getting it.
- What is the best nutritional care for your condition, and who can provide the best advice.
- What other approaches can you use to help you, and who are the best people to ask about this (it may not be the doctors).
- What can complementary and alternative medicine contribute to treatment and your wellbeing.